Red Candle Games
Based in Taipei, Taiwan
Jan, 12, 2017
Detention is an unique atmospheric horror game heavily influenced by Taiwanese/East Asian culture (Taoism and Buddhism references) based on the 1960s Taiwan under martial law. With simple point and click mechanism, the player control characters who venture into the school beset by hostile supernatural events to uncover stories behind the haunted place. Incorporated religious elements based in Taiwanese/Chinese culture and mythology, the game provided players with unique graphics and gaming experience.
It all started with a simple question. “Why can’t I find any game out there that could represent our culture and share with the world the place I grow up in?” Mr.Yao or Coffee as a game designer carried this thought with him for years and in 2013 finally decided to craft a horror game universe filled with Taiwanese/Eastern elements (A mixed of Taoism and Buddhism beliefs with traditional Chinese culture). A year into production, Coffee figured the game’s scale had grown too large, thus approached Light Wang and Henry Wang, who previously created Taiwan’s first greenlit indie title Constant C. At first glance the two realize that Detention is eye catching and full of Taiwanese flavor. And its uniqueness soon attracts famous composer Weifan Chang, artist Finger, game designer Doy, programmer Chia-Sheng and Vincent joining the team. Together they dedicated to share with world a game that no one has ever seen before.
- Story-driven atmospheric horror.
- Unique Taiwanese/Eastern cultural references.
- Over 40 minutes of OST, fusing Electronic, Lo-Fi, and Rock with traditional Asian instruments.
- Appleaing graphics and sound inspired by Taiwanese literature, film and music.
- Single player 2D side-scroller with point and click mechanism.
- Multiple language support. (Including English and Chinese)
Detention Launch Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Nomination for Best Game Award" IndiePlay China, Shanghai, 7 July, 2016
- "Nomination for Best Audio" IndiePlay China, Shanghai, 7 July, 2016
- "Detention has a visual style that distinguishes it from many other games."
- Daniel Fries, Kill Screen
Composer Weifan Chang in the OST weaved out an unique tone and created a tense, thick atmosphere. As the music served as a major part of the narrative, Weifan’s work not only guides us through a fresh and unforgettable experience but bringing the game itself to life. store.steampowered.com.
About Red Candle Games
Red Candle games is formed by a group of game enthusiasts from Taiwan. We are passionate about crafting the most immersive gaming experiences through both storytelling and innovative gameplay.
More information on Red Candle Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Lead Programmer, Co-Founder
Level Design/Programmer, Co-Founder
Story/Game Design, Co-Founder
Lead Artist, Co-Founder